This station was situated on the climb from Bristol up to Flax Bourton Tunnel. It was in the valley below Long Ashton, at the place where today there is a flyover for the A370 road. It was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1926. Originally named Long Ashton Platform, the suffix was dropped on 23 September 1929, and the station was closed on 6 October 1941. There are no visible remains. The University of Bristol has plans to open a new station at Long Ashton, west of the old station, as part of its Fenswood Farm development.
Plans were submitted in 2010 to reopen the station as part of the University of Bristol’s Fenswood Farm development, which, if granted planning permission, will comprise some 1,200 houses, businesses and a school spread over 35 hectares (86 acres). The new station would be up to 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the original location. The University notes that there is positive support for the station, but that it alone cannot guarantee its construction. Long Ashton parish councillor Anthony Butcher opposes the development, but supports the reopening of the station. The station could be reopened as part of the Greater Bristol Metro scheme [renamed MetroWest], a rail transport plan approved in July 2012 which aims to enhance transport capacity in the Bristol area.
© OpenStreetMap contributors | OpenStreetMap copyright notice | View context map of proposed locationClick on a proposed station symbol to view the corresponding Reopen page.
Original map published by Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic licence. Reopen is a nonprofit venture and is not affiliated with FoSBR.
The Case for Long Ashton Station, from page 174 onwards, in Land at Long Ashton, SW Bristol Representations submitted on behalf of the University of Bristol (pdf—2018)